- Team formation is progressing. Are you on a team yet?
- Report back from ManyLabs
- First hour: presentation from Joe Dumit, director of the new UC Davis Institute for Social Science.
- Second hour: We will complete a design for an autonomous Arduino backpack monitoring station!
Joe Dumit is an Anthropologist at UC Davis. He’ll be talking about the use of games and other technologies, maybe also dance.
Reading / Tech
These aren’t required, but are interesting links from Joe:
- Becoming a captive to machine interaction (specifically, video poker)
- Creative human–machine interaction
- blending virtual and real spaces
Joe will problematize naive data collection, including topics like:
- “Frack the Game” - a game designed as a form of social science thinking
- Clinical trial design, where controlling the questions is the game
- “Plastic” neuroscience - thinking of your data as a challenge to our “fuzzy” knowledge about people
- Fascia research in the biomedical and experiential realms